Training Pot-Bellied Pigs to Walk on Leashes & Leads
Much like a dog, a pot bellied pig can be trained to walk on a leash. It’s not even that difficult! Training your little pet to walk on a leash takes time and patience, but is worth any difficulty in the end. Love, respect, obedience, and trust will be the end result of training your pot bellied pig to wear a harness.
Because these little pigs are so smart, training yours to wear a harness may be easier than you thought. If you follow these simple steps, you and your pot- bellied pig will be walking together in no time!
1. Once your little pet pig has his or her harness on, attach the leash. Then drop it, allowing him to roam wherever the pot bellied pig wants to go.
2. Then, pick up the leash, but still allow your pet to wander around your house freely.
3. For a few days, offer your pot-bellied pig a treat, while calling him by name and tugging on the leash.
4. Your little pet should be trained to walk on a leash now! However, he may not be walking beside you. To train this, simply head off at your normal speed, calling out whatever version of “walk” you want to use regularly.
5. Reward your little pet pig if he keeps up with you. If this doesn’t happen though, move as far away as you can (still holding the leash) and call your pot bellied pig’s name. When he or she reaches you, head off again and give your pet the treat.
6. Repeat #5 as needed, but you won’t have to very much! Pot bellied pigs are so smart they don’t need a lot of training for most things.
As you prepare to train your little pet pig, keep in mind that pigs are preyed on in the wild. Because of this, your pot bellied pig may struggle and freak out when first wearing the training harness. This is common, so don’t freak out too! Remain calm, saying soothing things to your pig. Soon, trust will take over. You’ll have your smart little pot- bellied pig walking on a leash in no time!